Portland Beer Week Celebrates the World’s Most Vibrant Beer Community
Inaugural event will be held August 19-28 in Beervana
In its inaugural year, Portland Beer Week will include a series of events hosted throughout the week at beer-centric establishments all around town. Featured events include beer festivals, tastings, out-of-the-ordinary pairings, special tappings, gastronomical experiences and the world premier of “The Love of Beer,” a documentary about the region’s women of craft beer.
Widmer Brothers Brewing, one of Portland’s oldest and most-celebrated local craft breweries, has even brewed a special beer for Portland Beer Week. The beer, a golden ale brewed with rose hips, unnoficially dubbed Rose City Hipster will first be available at the PDX Beer Week kickoff party on Friday, Aug. 19 at the Horse Brass Pub. Other events include:
- Hopworks & Double Mountain Beer Brunch at Spirit of 77 (8/20) Brewers behind two of Oregon’s best breweries Hopworks Urban Brewery and Double Mountain have teamed up with Spirit of 77 chef and PDX Beer Week to concoct an epic individually priced beer brunch pairing menu available for one day only.
- Beer Ice Cream’s at Salt & Straw (Daily Monday-Friday) Albera street’s acclaimed ice cream auteurs have teamed up with PDX Beer Week to design 5 different Ice Cream’s.
- “The Love of Beer” Premier at the Bagdad Theater (8/20) A documentary celebrating women in the craft beer industry. Featuring $3 beer specials from Deschutes Brewery and Bend Brewing and a panel of some of the most prominent women in Oregon craft beer speaking before the film.
- Coaliton Brewing’s One Year Anniversary Party (8/20) This all day celebration extravaganza has all the hallmarks of what Coalition Brewing is all about: Cheap Happy Hour priced beers, Cornhole Tournament, Live Music and specials from the Grilled Cheese Grill. To top it off they will be releasing a special small batch Cascadian Dark Ale.
- Washington Brewers Night at Bailey’s Taproom (8/21) A special Sunday evening event featuring beers and breweries never available in Oregon before. Meet-the-Brewers and try the beers from Washington’s best: Elysian, Naked City, Odin, Big Al and Sound Brewing.
- Beer & Sushi Pairing at Roscoe’s (8/22) Taplister and Behind the Pint have teamed up with Roscoe’s and Miyamoto Sushi to design a special beer and sushi pairing menu.
- CDAbe Festival at Belmont Station (8/22) A benefit for beer writer Abram Goldman-Armstrong to help pay medical bills featuring an extensive lineup for the style he helped create: Cascadian Dark Ales.
- Brewers Burger Brawl at The Hop and Vine (8/23) 5 of Portland’s best Brewers go head-to-head with their own burger recipes and one of their breweries beers in a battle to see who is the Brewer Burger Champion! Participating breweries: Hopworks, Burnside, Upright, Breakside and Laurelwood.
- Barrel-Aging Beer Panel at Hopworks Urban Brewery (8/24) Breakside Brewer Ben Edmunds MC’s a panel of brewmasters skilled at the art of barrel-aging beer. Sit in and listen to the talk and ask your own questions of these masters while being served a selection of their finest barrel-aged brews. Featuring: Ben Love (Hopworks), John Harris (Full Sail) and Nick Arzner (Block 15) and more TBA.
- Breakfast Beers Night at Breakside Brewery (8/25) Brewers will tap a Breakfast Stout with coffee and a Whiskey for Breakfast Porter. Additionally a special breakfast menu will be presented for the evening and there may be a few more tricks up brewers sleeves.
- California Brewers Night at Apex (8/26) One of Portland’s premiere taphouses plays host to many of the best breweries and beers of California. Try a selection of beers not available in the state of Oregon and meet many brewers and representatives including Stone Brewing Vice President, Sierra Nevada and for the first time in the state Ballast Point, Magnolia, Telegraph, Craftsman and Beachwood BBQ Breweries. Plus many other fan favorites.
- Mighty Mites - Session Beer Festival at Coalition Brewing (8/27) Jeff Alworth of popular local beer blog Beervana has teamed up with Coalition Brewing and PDX Beer Week to explore the underrated wealth of creativity and flavor of session beers (beers of 5%abv or less).
- Ninkasi Brewers Brunch at East Burn (8/28) Brewers dinners are common but what happens when you take the same concept and apply it to Brunch? Beer Week organizers approached Ninkasi Brewing’s Jamie Floyd and the fantastic team at East Burn to take on just such a challenge and they have came up with 3 outstanding brunch plates and beer pairings. Tickets are $30.
- Closing Street Party at Bazi Bierbrasserie (8/28) During the Hawthorne Street Fair PDX Beer Week and new european/belgian inspired bier bar Bazi Bierbrasserie will be closing off 32nd street to set up an outdoor beer garden featuring many of Oregon’s best Belgian-styled beers including offerings from: Double Mountain, Upright Brewing, Beetje Brewing and Full Sail as well as ALL 5 beer ice creams from Salt & Straw and the beers they were made from including: Breakside Brewing’s IPA, Hopworks ESB, Ninkasi’s Oatis, Upright’s Engelberg Pils and Burnside Brewing’s Sweet Heat. All-Aged street party!
The complete list of more than 24 events (and more still being added) can be found at: www.pdxbeerweek.com
Event-goers and participants are encouraged to share their Portland Beer Week experiences using the #pdxbw Twitter hashtag or on the event’s Facebook page at: www.facebook.com/pdxbeerweek.
All of Portland’s breweries, beer bars, restaurants and other beer-focused businesses are invited to participate in Portland Beer Week. For more information about Portland Beer Week or to participate as an event host or sponsor, contact Ezra Johnson-Greenough at email@example.com or 503-757-6936.
Portland Beer Week would not be possible without these sponsors:
Google Places, the new local recommendation engine that connects people with the places they love.
Yelp: User Reviews and Recommendations of Top Restaurants, Shopping, Nightlife, Entertainment, Services and More at Yelp.
Beer Connoisseur Magazine: Beer Culture Defined. Delve into the world's premier beer magazine as it explores beer culture both in America and abroad.
Columbia Distributing is one of the nation’s largest malt beverage, wine and non-alcoholic distributors. Our success is based on the fact that we never lose sight of delivering what’s really important—quality products, timely service, and a genuine concern for our customers needs.