Coalition Brewing, through their Coalator Program, is releasing an award winning beer called Cantaloupe Wheat Ale by homebrewer Mike Marsh. Mike won Best Light Colored Fruit Beer at the Portland Fruit Beer Fest in June.
I was lucky enough to taste the beer as a judge of the homebrew competition and really enjoyed it. In fact I liked it enough that after the winners were announced I contacted Mike via his Twitter account and set up a meeting to talk about the beer. This is what I found out (Beer Geek Stat Warning):
- OG -1.054
- SRM - 3.5
- IBU - 20
- Malts - 2-Row, Wheat Malt, & Flaked Barley
- Hopped with Willamette & Centennial Hops
- Dry "Hop" with cubed Tuscan Cantaloupe at 1 pound per gallon of beer in after primary.
- Then Keg "Hop" with new cantaloupe at the same ratio.
- Yeast - Wyeast Kölsch 2565
This is great opportunity for beer lovers to try this wonderful summertime beer. But only 10 gallons of this beer was made so it will go quickly!
So to sum it all up:
- What - Release of Mike Marsh's Cantaloupe Wheat Ale
- When - Thursday, July 14 at 6 PM. Come early, this one should go pretty quickly.
- Why - Chances are you've never had a cantaloupe beer before and you not likely to again. And if it is anything like the one I tasted it's really good!
Hope to see you there!