Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Holiday Ale Festival Preview And A Few Picks


Another post about the Holiday Ale Festival? One might think that the HAF is my favorite festival of the year. Well I guess that would not be too far from the truth. It is hard to believe that it's Holiday Ale Festival time again. 2 PM today in Pioneer Courthouse Square.

A few days ago I was lucky enough to attend the media preview for the event.  I'm going to just give you my picks from the preview and a few other tidbits since time is running short (I'll be heading down to the fest after I write this post)

First my picks from the preview -

  • Block 15 Brewing - Figgy Pudding Olde Stock - This is 1 of 2 different versions of this beer. The brewer explains here
  • Bear Republic Brewing - Ebewesner Scrooge - Very nice balance sour with smokey complexity.
  • Cascade Brewing - Sang Noir - Sour cherry & whiskey goodness. What else can I say?
  • Coalition Brewing  - Lost Glove - This is a hoppy strong ale with balance malt profile. I recommend it as a change of pace from the other strong and sour beers.
  • Lompoc Brewing - Franc'ly Brewdolph Belgian Red - Very tasty blend of malt and oak. Aged  in Cabernet Franc barrels for 13 months and then blended with 2010 Brewdolph. Nice.
There are quite a few others to talk about but as I said time is short. For more great reviews and information check out these blogs:

    Wed. 2 pm
    1- 2005 Samichlaus
    2- 2009 New Belgium Love
    3- 2008 Oskar Blues Ten-Fiddy
    4- Firestone 14th Anniversary

    Thurs. 2 pm
    1- Lompoc Brewing 8 Malty Nights
    2- Deschutes Oak Aged Jubel 2000
    3- North Coast Brewing 2008 Old Stock
    4- Cascade Brewing 2009 Sang Noir

    Fri, 2 pm
    1- BridgePort Brewing Old Knucklehead 2003
    2- TBA
    3- 2008 Jim
    4- 2009 Jim

    Sat. 2 pm
    1-Dogfish Head Festina Peche 2008
    2- Fort George North III (2009)
    3- Cascade Brewing 2007 Barrel Select Baltic Porter
    4- TBA

    There you have it! Have fun and I hope to see you down at the festival. Cheers!


    No comments: