There are so many beer events on here in Beervana that I’m still having a hard time keeping this blog updated with the events I actually attend. There have been quite a few events we have attended lately so I will give each event it's own post in no particular order. Also I will post few pictures on this blog and also will try to put most of them on my Flickr page.
Saturday FredFest 2009 was held at Hair of the Dog Brewing n SE Portland. It was a blast as usual. Having attended this event once before I kind of knew what to expect. This year the event exceeded my expectations.
As Jeff so eloquently put
it - FredFest is more than a just a festival, it is actually a birthday party for a man who has taught us all a great deal about beer styles, food pairings, and about overall enjoyment of beer. It was also a great time to catch up with old some friends in the beer community and meet some new ones as well.
Teresa and I got down to the fest about the same time as Bill, just as they were letting people in.
Bill in action
The 2009 Brewery and Beer List:
* Astoria Brewing Company - Bitter Bitch
* Bend Brewing Company - Black Diamond Dark Lager
* BridgePort Brewing Company - Hop Czar
* Cascade Brewing Company - Bain de Brugge
* Deschutes Brewery - Mirror Mirror From the Wood
* Double Mountain Brewery & Taproom - Oak-Aged Inglemonster
* Firestone Walker Brewing Company - Abacus
* Full Sail Brewing Company - 1998 Boilermaker
* Hair of the Dog Brewing Company - Cask Fred of the Wood
* Hopworks Urban Brewery (HUB) - Bourbon BBL Noggin Floggin
* Laughing Dog Brewing - Dogfather Imperial Stout
* Laurelwood Brewing Company - Organic Portland Roast Espresso Stout
* Lucky Labrador Brewing Company - Pennsylvania Swanky
* McMenamins Cornelius Pass Roadhouse - Weisenbock 2007
* Midnight Sun Brewing Company - Brewtality
* New Belgium Brewing Company - "Mystery Beer"
* New Old Lompoc Brewery - 2008 Bourbon Barrel-Aged Proletariat Red Ale
* Ninkasi Brewing Company - Sasquatch
* Pelican Pub & Brewery - Nestucca ESB
* Rock Bottom Brewery - Super Dopple Bock
* Rogue Ales - Charlie 1981
* Saxer Brewing Company - Vintage Dopplebock
* Widmer Brothers Brewing Company - 8409 Double Alt
Here are a few stand-outs for me:
Firestone Walker Brewing Company - Abacus
Hopworks Urban Brewery (HUB) - Bourbon BBL Noggin Floggin
Deschutes Brewery - Mirror Mirror From the Wood
Bend Brewing Company - Black Diamond Dark Lager
Also Full Sail Brewing Company - 1998 Boilermaker was very tasty too.
The oldest beer there was a keg of Saxer Brewing Company - 1994 Vintage Dopplebock. I was pleasantly surprised by how well it held up over time. There was some oxidation, but not as much as one would expect from a beer this age.
Teresa cutting one of the birthday cakes.
With a little organized coaxing from Bill we got a picture of a few of the bloggers/writers with Fred (and Rob Widmer for some reason...) I'm not sure who took it.
What a fun party it was!
Happy Birthday Fred!